Some other gems from NECC this year:
- Getting a chance to hear Angela Maiers discuss Literacy at NECC Unplugged and discussing it with her afterwards. Angela is passionate about literacy. Literacy is more than learning how to “read” it encompasses all aspects of making meaning. She suggests that we should teach literacy as a LEARNING SKILL. She breaks down 21st Century literacy proficiency into 4 areas whether you are a young learner reading a book, a HS students doing research, or reading a Twitter page. You learn to read and you read to learn. The 4 Resource Model included: Code Breakers, Text User, Meaning Maker and Text Critic. You use all four methods when making meaning whether the information is printed or digital. When you understand that the skills, strategy and thinking of reading is the same skill set no matter what you are learning – it transcends all mediums. I love her analogy of driving a car. We don’t break down the skills of driving into mini lessons (this is how you turn the steering wheel) – it takes practices to be thinking of where you are going, what’s going on – how you are going to steer the car, etc.. Why then do we continue to break down reading into small parts instead of dealing with all aspects as one??? Anyway, I love taking with someone who loves what they do and any school is lucky to have Angela working with them
- Listening to Sheryl Nussbaum-Beach and Will Richardson at a session called Here Comes Learning! and them talking about the great work they are doing with their cohorts at Powerful Learning Practice. I would love to be involved in a future cohort!
- Having a personal lesson about Wikispaces from founder Adam Frey during NECC Unplugged.
- The Blogger’s Cafe – what a fabulous idea. I loved having a central place to return to after session and review what I just learned with the folks around me. I think I must have met 50 people f3f who I follow on twitter.
- Learning more about the National Girl’s Collaborative Project and finally meeting Karen Peterson face to face. I will definitely be looking at their resources for my Digital Divas 2.o girls tech club this year.
Btw, the last time I checked there were 4675 photos tagged necc09 at Tag Galaxy Check it out!!