My friend and Google Certified Teacher Christine Southard tagged me with this All Students meme that was started by Martha Thornburgh in response to a discussion with her teachers about ” Do you believe that all students can meet standard?”. Martha was shocked to find that a large percentage of educators answered this question “no”.
Here are the rules of the meme:
1. Share three things that you believe about all students.
2. Reflect on your thoughts in your blog. (If you do not have a blog, you can share your ideas in a comment from this post.)
3. Be sure to link to this post and to where you were first tagged.
4. Tag your response with AllStudentsMeme
5. Invite others to join the conversation by tagging them to be a part of the meme.
This I believe …
That ALL students are capable of learning. Students may have situations or personal issues that hinder their learning but ultimately – each one CAN learn. When we hear in the classroom “this is too hard” or “this is stupid” or “i didn’t understand it” – it doesn’t mean that a student CAN”T learn – it means more about the situation the student is learning in – but not their ability. Our job as teachers is to determine what is going on and create an environment where the student BELIEVES they can learn too.
That Learners are unique and one cookie cutter approach is not going to be right for everyone. We need to provide opportunities where students can demonstrate their understanding in a variety of methods and in ways that best suit their personality.
That each person is a wonderful gift of our creator. God doesn’t make junk and each person has something about them that is beautiful and precious – maybe we as teachers (or just humans) don’t always see it.
So — I tag the following folks to participate in this meme: