MODULE 3: NEXT STEPS
1. On Campus Bootcamp
After registering for your bootcamp you will receive a confirmation email and certificate. Bring your certificate to the On Campus Bootcamp indicating your completion of the Online Module.
If you need to change your bootcamp or cannot attend one of the sessions, please contact Mrs. Colette Cassinelli (email@example.com).
Students should bring their iPad to the bootcamp to register their device with La Salle’s mobile device management system and set up appropriate accounts like email, Schoology, Google Apps, etc.
Next: Apple ID & iTunes Account
2. Apple ID & iTunes Account
An Apple ID is a user name you use for everything you do with Apple. Creating an account for an Apple service, such as the iTunes Store or the App Store, creates an Apple ID. You don’t have to create a new account for each service—just use your Apple ID. From FAQ about Apple ID.
- Each student signs up for their own iTunes account and creates an unique Apple ID for purchasing apps, books, etc. Consider using your school email address (firstname.lastname@example.org) and/or your own personal email address for this account. You can use an existing Apple ID for your iPad but it will probably require you to add a credit card to your account (see below).
- Create a family iTunes account for major purchases such as textbooks. Use the family Apple ID for purchases and register a credit card but then log out of that account and have each student log in with their own Apple ID to download free apps or backup their files. This might be helpful for families that have multiple children at La Salle and plan on sharing textbooks from year to year.
- Loading iTunes giftcards onto an iTunes account is a great way for students to purchase books in the iBooks store or apps in the iTunes app store. Please note that not all textbooks will be located in the iBooks store.
Here is a helpful tip for new iTunes account users on the iPad: Create an Apple ID in the application store without having to use any form of payment method:
1. First download any FREE application inside the store on any Apple device without an account.
2. Once the pop up window opens, hit ‘CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT.’
3. Make sure you use a fresh, new email that you have not yet attempted to use prior to this explanation (this might be a good time to create an account with your lshigh.org account.)
4. Fill in the required fields to continue on to the second page.
5. Once you are on the page that asks for your payment information, on the top section, grouped in under the credit cards, there will be an option labled ‘NONE.’ Select it, and fill in your billing information.
6. Unfortunately, this option is NOT available for exisiting accounts. Contact iTunes Support for assistance.
More information about Apple ID at: http://www.apple.com/support/appleid/
Next: Things To Do Before The On-Campus Bootcamp
3. Things To Do Before the On-Campus Bootcamp
- Purchase your iPad and protective cover and bring it to bootcamp. You will register your device with La Salle’s Mobile Device Management program during the bootcamp.
- Create an Apple ID and be able to access the iTunes App store and iBooks store. Make sure you know your password so you can download apps at the On-Campus bootcamp.
- Download the following apps that we will use during the bootcamp workshop:
- Schoology – If you are a current La Salle student, practice logging in with your username and password. New and incoming students will receive credentials in the mail this summer. We will set up your profile, notifications, and check your time-zone during the bootcamp.
- Google Drive – La Salle Prep is a Google Apps for Education school. We will set up your email, calendar, and Drive folders during one of the sessions.
- PowerSchool for Students – This is our grade reporting software. It won’t be useful until the school year starts but make sure you have a copy before then.
- iBooks – App for reading iBook textbooks or pdf files. We’ll create collections in iBooks for your files.
- Destiny Quest – This app that allows you to access the online Library catalog and collection of eBooks. We will set up your username and password.
- Find My iPhone – This app works for any IOS device is helpful for locating misplaced devices. Students will sign-in with their Apple ID using iCloud to practice locating their device.
- i-nigma – This is a QR code reader that we will use during the Bootcamp.
- Optional: Have an iTunes gift card loaded onto your account so you can practice purchasing apps or iBooks.
- Optional: These are some FREE apps recommended by La Salle Teachers:Garageband, iTunes U, EduCreations, Haiku Deck,Socrative Student,Flipboard, Prezi, Phonto and Pic Stitch. Teachers will list additional paid apps needed with the textbook list or with their course syllabus.
- Fill out the form on the next page indicating you have completed the Online Modules. A certificate will be emailed to you. Print it out and bring it to the On-Campus Bootcamp to show that you have met this requirement.
PLEASE NOTE: We encourage you to WAIT to purchase any textbooks until you are sure that you will be enrolled in the course.
Once the student schedules are complete in early summer and shared with families, La Salle will make the textbook list available on the La Salle Prep website. This listing will include: course, title, author, price, format and a direct link of where to purchase the eTextbook.
Most textbooks fall between the $15 – $25 range except for some of the specialty AP eTextbooks that are priced more like college-level textbooks. There is no need to purchase the materials too early. It is better to wait until the student’s schedule has been confirmed before purchasing books because you are buying them direct from the publishers. La Salle Prep will not be responsible for refunds if your child changes classes.
Congratulations! You have completed your Online Modules. Fill out this form and a certificate will be emailed to you indicating your completion. Print and bring your certificate to the On-Campus Bootcamp to show you have met this requirement.